Photo: Adéral Piot | Dancer: Emma Simon
There are two steps to register in the School’s program. First, all applicants must submit an audition registration application including the link of a video no later than January 22nd, 2021. The preliminary audition will be held by video only. The final audition, upon invitation, will be on March 5-6-7 in Montreal (invitation for three days - presence is mandatory).
After passing the final audition, the second step is to register either in the Contemporary Dance Performance 561.BB Diploma of Collegial Studies (DEC) program, or, for foreign students only, the Modern Dance NRC.05 Attestation of Collegial Studies (AEC) program. Applicants will be informed of the final audition results in April.
1) AUDITION REGISTRATION (all applicants)
All applicants must have a high school diploma (DES) or equivalent education. A complete admission application must be sent by mail or delivered in person to the School’s office no later than January 22, 2021.
The online application form must include :
- Proof of date of birth (copy of health insurance card, driver's licence or birth certificate)
- A transcript of artistic studies, if applicable
Applicant’s two most recent official report cards. In addition to these documents university level students must provide a copy of their Secondary School Diploma (SSD) as well as their secondary IV and V and their college transcripts. French national applicants who have completed their lycée education must include the grades from the French written examination (EUF, French Baccalaureate or other examination). A grade ≥ 10/20 on the French Baccalaureate written examination is required by the CEGEP du Vieux-Montréal.
Any relevant medical information
Two recent photographs, one head shot and one full-length shot in dance attire (attire colour contrasted from the background)
Payment covering the non-refundable $50 (non-refundable) audition fee may be paid online using PayPal. Payment of the audition fee is also possible by credit card or a certified cheque or money order payable to École de danse contemporaine de Montréal.
Important: Incomplete or illegible applications will not be accepted. All official documents that are not available in French or English must be translated by a certified translator. The translator’s seal is obligatory. None of the above-mentioned documents will be returned. The preliminary audition date will be confirmed by letter.
For international applicants, only a Paypal payment or an international certified cheque in the amount of $50 CDN is accepted (non-refundable). This cheque must be made payable to the École de danse contemporaine de Montréal.
2) PROGRAM REGISTRATION
Acceptance into the program is contingent upon meeting college admission requirements and passing the final audition. Applicants will be informed of the jury’s final decision by mid-March. Those admitted into the program will then receive detailed information on how to register (DEC, AEC).
Applicants from Quebec completing Secondary V should also register in another program through the Service régional d’admission of their choice before March 1st so that their academic progress is not delayed if they do not pass the final audition. It is very important not to indicate “Contemporary Dance Performance 561.BB” as the first choice in the first round, since the final audition results are sent after March 1st. That way, those who are not accepted will still be able to register in another program of their choice.
Students who hold a college diploma or who are in the process of obtaining one and applicants from other Canadian provinces are also encouraged to register in a university program (usually in January) or at other professional dance training schools.
Do not hesitate to contact the School’s registrar’s office.
2019-2020 Tuition Fees
|Students residency||Tuition Fee||Related Fees|
|Quebec or France||$0||$111/term|
|Other provinces of Canada||$1,572/term||$156/term|
1. Quebec and French students receive free education provided that they register for four courses or 180 hours per term. For details on registration fees or other education-related fees, visit the website of the cégep du Vieux Montréal.
2. Students who take their academic courses in English at Dawson College must pay additional fees. Once the students have passed these courses Dawson reimburses these additional fees, usually at the middle of the following session.
1. If I already have a DCS, do I have to re-do my general education courses?
All completed general education courses are recognized, including the English Exit Exam (EEE), which will also be credited.
2. How do I receive credit for my dance history course in a previous DCS in dance / training?
You must submit a request to the EDCM. All the steps will be explained at the beginning of the school year.
3. If I already have a DCS, can I take university courses at the same time?
Since the program provides 2,400 hours of training (400 hours per term), you will have very little time for additional courses.
4. I would like to take my general education in English. Why is the EDCM program not mentioned on the Dawson College website?
All students are enrolled in the DCS 561.BB program at CEGEP du Vieux-Montréal. Registration for Dawson College general education courses is done through a partnership between both institutions. A complete document will be sent to you at a later date after your acceptance into the program.
5. Do I need to prove my level of French? If so, how? What level should I have?If you are accepted into the DCS program and you register in SRAM, CEGEP du Vieux-Montréal will send you information about the French-language examination. Students of French nationality do not need to take this examination. This exam is not required for students taking their general education courses at Dawson College.No language test is required for the ACS program. However, prior French studies are an asset.
6. Do I have to register for the first round of SRAM in the EDCM dance performance program?If you are beginning your collegial studies at a cégep in Quebec, you should register in the first round of applications in a different program than Danse-interprétation 561.BB at the cégep du Vieux Montréal.International students accepted into the program at l’École de danse contemporaine de Montréal after the final auditions and who wish to register in the DEC program, must submit a complete dossier (including all the required documents) before March 31st. It is not necessary to register in the first round of SRAM applications.For more detailed information, please contact the registroir.
7. When I tried to register for the second round in SRAM, it said no space is available.
If “no space available” appears, please continue your registration anyway, as you should be able to complete it correctly.
8. If I have already registered in the first round in SRAM, do I have to pay the fees again for the second round?
You must not register twice in SRAM. The procedures for transferring files will be explained to you at a later date, since each file is processed on a case by case basis.
9. I registered in SRAM several weeks ago and have not heard back from them yet. Is this normal?
SRAM sends applicants' files to CEGEP du Vieux-Montréal for evaluation only when they are complete. Please check the status of your file, including the required supporting documents.
10. What are the steps for transferring my registration in a program from another CEGEP that I had chosen in case I am not accepted at EDCM?
Following your acceptance into the EDCM program and confirmation from you, the next steps will be explained to you.
11. I am an international student. The SRAM letter of acceptance mentions paying an annual group insurance in addition to the registration fees. Is this compulsory?
If you are a French citizen, due to an agreement between France and Quebec, you will not have to pay annual group insurance fees. If you have another nationality, you must first check whether there is an agreement between your country and the Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ); a form must be completed. Otherwise, fees are applicable.
12. What do the CVM and EDCM numbers on the registration form refer to?
The CVM number is the SRAM file number (No. DA) and the EDCM number will be given to students at the beginning of the school year.
13. I am from Quebec and would like to enroll in the ACS program (NRC.05). Are there tuition fees for this program?
Yes, this ACS is not subsidized by the Ministry of Education and Higher Education, so ALL applicants enrolled in this program must pay tuition fees.
14. What are the tuition fees for international students (except French citizens) who would like to integrate the DCS program (and not the ACS), which includes general education at CEGEP du Vieux-Montréal and specific dance training at EDCM?
In 2019-2020, the cost of DCS training for an international student (excluding French citizens) is $8,001 per term. The training has a total of 6 terms. For those who are not eligible for the Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ), it is also necessary to add the $780 annual cost for group insurance.
15. If I am outside the country and do not have access to a printer within the required time, how do I send you the signed forms?
Your parents can sign the forms for you.
16. I have not received my Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) / Study Permit. What is the normal wait time?
When a file is complete, including supporting documents, the wait time is at least six weeks. You can consult your file online for better tracking. The EDCM cannot intervene in this file.
17. As an international student, can I receive financial assistance from the Quebec government and the CEGEP du Vieux-Montréal?
No, this financial assistance is only for permanent residents of Quebec. However, the program offered at the EDCM is recognized by the Ministry of Education and Higher Education. International students may therefore apply for financial aid / scholarships in their home countries.
18. How do I find accommodation or shared accommodation with other students?
19. Do you have any information that could help me plan my budget?